The Facts About Iron
How much do you know about iron and its function in the body? Increase your knowledge of the facts here:
- Iron gives oxygen to all of our organs by helping produce red blood cells.
- Iron’s primary role is to carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body.
- Iron helps form hemoglobin, which gives the dark shade of red to our blood. Iron is also necessary for the formation of many enzymes in the body.
- When red blood cells die, the iron in them is returned to the bone marrow to be used again in new cells.
- Iron helps supply oxygen when there is a contraction of muscles. Without iron, muscles lose their tone and elasticity.
- Iron helps regulate body temperature.
- Too much iron in the body can generate free radicals that damage cells and encourage a build-up of bad LDL Cholesterol.
- Studies have shown that cancer growth is dependent on iron. Cancer cells need iron for DNA replication. The cancer’s need for iron is so important to the cell that it will steal iron from normal cells.
- When iron levels in the body are low, anemia develops. Symptoms of anemia include fatigue, shortness of breath, pale skin, and lightheadedness.
- The recommended dietary allowance for iron in healthy adults is 10mg per day for men and 15mg per day for premenopausal women.
If you have a question or concern about your diet and how it may be affecting your health and lifestyle, schedule a consult with Dr. Burns at The Bien-Etre Center. Dr. Burns works with patients to help restore and regulate their body in a natural way and can answer your questions about iron and the effects it may be having on your body.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- October 2017
- April 2017
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013